The Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF) at the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MBBT) was established in 2007 under the Biotechnology Information System Network (BTISnet) scheme of the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India to promote innovation in biology teaching through Bioinformatics. The goal of this facility is to expose students and researchers to the use of bioinformatics in solving hard core biological problems.
The broad objectives of Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility, Dept. of MBBT are:
- To provide awareness about bioinformatics and its usefulness in the field of biological sciences.
- To familiarize the applications of Bioinformatics in biology teaching and learning activities through training/workshop/seminar etc.
- To stimulate interest to the students to undertake research into advanced methods in the field of modern biology.
- To assist the teaching activities of biology and its allied areas of the host institute as well as the neighbouring institutions in general.
- To provide laboratory support for students/researchers and computation facility to faculty and technical staff of the institute.
To build up information resources so as to provide free access to relevant information handling tools, e-journals, e-books, servers, software, biological databases and other information of scientific and commercial value.
- To work on biological data acquisition, creation and development of databases of interest and avail its access to the users.