Central Library, Tezpur University has following sections:
1. Acquisition Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly responsible for acquisition of books. This section procures the documents by the following process:
At first, the library collects the recommendation from faculty members reviewed by HOD of different departments. Based on the recommendation, the library interacts and places order with selected vendors. Then, the books are accessioned in this section and transferred to the Technical Processing Section for cataloguing, classification and indexing & database entry.
2. Technical Processing Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly responsible for processing of procured books and acts as a bridge between Acquisition and Circulation Section. This section classifies the documents, catalogues them and finally sends these books for display in New Arrivals Display Area for a week.
After one week, the displayed books are shelved and new books processed last week, are displayed again in Display Area. This continues every week.
3. Circulation Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly responsible for circulation of documents to the users of the library. This section acts as a bridge between users and books. The following tasks are performed by this section:
- Membership Registration
- Issue No Dues Certificate
- Overdue Fine Collection
- Alert Services such as overdue, collect notice etc.
4. Periodical Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly responsible for procurement of print journals and e-resources (abstract & full text). E-Resource includes the Full Text Databases and Abstract/Citation Databases.
The following tasks are performed by this section:
- Print Journals Subscription
- E-Resources subscription and its management (Full Text & Abstract Databases)
- Bound Volume Management
5. Reference Section: This section is situated in First Floor and is mainly responsible for keeping reference books in different stacks of the Library subject-wise.
6. Text Book Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and only manages text books in different stacks of the library subject-wise.
7. Computer Application Division: This section is situated in First Floor and is mainly responsible for the management of the following:
- Library Website: Design & Development
- Library Automation & Networking
- Manages Digital Repositories: Knowledge Repository & ETD Repository
- Manages Library Servers: LibSys Server, ETD Server, DSpace Server, E-Books Server, Koha Server
- Manages Article Request Portal & CD Library Catalogue
- Publishes Monday Morning: Weekly e-News
- Publishes InfoJ: Newly arrived print Journals (monthly)
- Publishes InfoGranth: Newly arrived Books (monthly)
- Publishes Library E-Newsletter
- Conducts User Orientation Programme (UOP)
- Liaison with INFLIBNET
- Reference Service & Research Support Service
8. Digital Resource Center: This section is situated in First Floor and contains 30 nos. of PCs at present and is mainly used by the users for accessing e-resources of the library.
9. ETD Lab.: This lab. is situated in First Floor and is mainly used for digitization of theses & dissertations of Tezpur University.
10. Back Volume Section: This section is situated in Second Floor and is mainly responsible for the management of back volume of Journals.
11. Children Library Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly used by the children of the employees of Tezpur University.
12. Newspaper Section: This section is situated in Ground Floor adjacent to the circulation section and is mainly responsible for the management of newspapers subscribed by the central library.
13. Conference Hall: This hall is situated in Ground Floor and is mainly used for organizing meeting, workshop, seminars, conferences and department-wise orientation programmes.
14. Visually Impaired Section: Central library has created a separate section named as “Visually impaired section” particularly for the users with visual impairments. It has been inaugurated by Prof. Bijoy Boruah, Adjunct professor of Philosophy, IIT Delhi in 2018. This section is having a well-furnished room with one computer which is connected with internet reserved for users with visual impairments. The computer with Window10 operating system is installed with JAWS Screen reader which helps the visual impaired user for reading and writing through the braille keyboard. JAWS is a computer screen reader program for Microsoft Windows that allows blind and visually impaired users to read the screen either with a text-to-speech output or by a refreshable Braille display. It is situated in Ground Floor of the Central Library.